Sunday, March 20, 2011

Back from vacation to massive laundry, marathon cancer appointments, and making it home

We flew back from California last Sunday, and after some debating decided to send the boys home with my parents since Josh had appointments starting Monday morning.
Again, no secret as to how much I LOVE laundry, and one of things that gives me anxiety about going on vacation is the fact that our family is growing and I have to do laundry EVERYDAY to keep it from getting out of control.
We came home with EIGHT loads of laundry. Count them, yes, eight loads for a six day vacation. I managed to squeeze one load into another load since there wasn't another washer close by. But, all the loads got done at the same time and I decided that in my next life, I want to have multiple washers as to be able to do massive amounts of laundry at one time. Maybe it's my lot in life to open a laundromat where I can reserve a row of washers just for me.

See? Doesn't that look like heaven? The chance to get it all done at the same time?


Monday while Eliza and I were waiting for Josh to get his lab work done, we met the most awesome people. One man with colon cancer and mets all over was positive about his Stage IV cancer, and ironically his F-bomb cancer shirt didn't offend me the way the F word usually does. In fact, as bad as it sounds, it was relatable, and I got a kick out it. I told him and we got talking. He is awesome. Dov, you inspired me. After meeting you, I will never be the same. I met a guy, Max, with melanoma who is hopeful at the opportunity to be in remission, two more women, one who is a cancer survivor and one still battling. I also met a woman who has just barely been going through all the emotion and trauma that comes initially with her husband's cancer diagnosis. I literally saw myself in her eyes. Lou, if you are reading this. You are not alone. I hope you are feeling better than you were a week ago. My heart goes out to you. I KNOW exactly how you're feeling. It isn't easy. Our hearts and prayers are with all our new friends from the Huntsman. I particularly want to share one blog from Carri, who is a cancer survivor hoping to adopt. Please check out her amazing blog!! It is called From Healing to Hope.  
Here are some cutie pie picture of Eliza watching all the action and later waiting patiently at the Huntsman's infusion waiting room. Poor baby is going to think that hospital and clinic are her second home especially with all the attention she gets every time we go. They have watched her grow and when they know we are coming, there are always a handful of specific nurses that come to see her.
Watching our new friend Dov as he was talking to his mom.

Passing the time reading a book.
Monday night, Josh had an MRI and then Tuesday morning an appointment with Dr. Colman and staff. Then, that afternoon he had an infusion for the Avastin study. The appointment went well. Josh's MRI didn't show any changes which means we can chalk up another few months for stability. I am pretty sure that every time we go Dr. Cohen and Dr. Colman are more and more convinced that I am a complete nut-case, but seriously-- I can not silence my concerns. Remember how I said that I am not the quiet type? I think it embarrasses Josh, but I am not sorry for it. He is my husband, and it is our family, our children, our life, our future. 

I want to live a long and happily-ever-after life with Josh. I have never noticed so much how wonderful it is to see a couple in their golden years sitting together at church or walking down the sidewalk hand-in-hand. I guess I always took it for granted, as I felt that it would inevitably be Josh and I one day. Now when I see it, I notice the sweetness and rarity (especially with divorce rates perpetually on the rise). My hope is that one day I will be able to sit in church with my aged husband, admiring his gray hair as he puts his arms around my hunched shoulders. In an effort to achieve that, I have to make sure that the doctors are aware of anything that might be relevant. If that makes me a nut-case and embarrassing: so be it. Despite all my questions, the reality was that he is still stable. And, ultimately, no change is good news. 

After our long couple of days at the Huntsman we were finally able to come home. It felt so good to finally be in our own home and sleep in our own bed. As great as vacation was, I was happy to be here. Probably more-so because the laundry was all done! ;)

4 comments:

Kim Zuch said...

Kristen you are amazing. Thanks for the post.

Jessica said...

Wonderful news! Thanks for sharing. I am always thinking about you guys.
I was still picturing Eliza as a little bitty baby, but she is almost a year already! What a sweet little thing she is!

Kassi Luck said...

It is great to hear that he is stable!! I hope you are feeling better as well. I am glad you had a great vacation and I must say the laundromat idea of getting all your laundry done in one load does sound heavenly.

Devin and Elisa said...

I've never thought of being an older couple the way you describe. We hope you and Josh will be that couple too! You're in my thoughts and prayers! Thanks for sharing such inspirational words. -Elisa